Regional Office, Pakistan Narcotics Control Board (PNCB) NWFP was established in 1973 under Ministry of Interior (MoI), with DIG (Police) as head of the setup. It was located at 15- Shami Road Peshawar. Its role was to collect data of illicit narcotics and poppy cultivation within its area of responsibility (AOR). Initially, 5 x Field Investigation Units (FIUs) were established under Regional Office, NWFP as under:-
|a.||Peshawar||(Peshawar & Kohat Districts)|
|c.||Swat||(Swat, Dir & Chitral Districts)|
|e.||Bannu||(Bannu & D I Khan Districts)|
In 1984, executive powers were given to Regional Office, NWFP. In 1990, all 5 x FIUs were given the status of Police Stations and prosecution powers were also awarded. In the same year, a parallel setup with the name of Anti Narcotics Task Force (ANTF) was established and raised under MoI, initially commanded by an SP Police and later by Brigadier ex Pakistan Army, in Sep 1993.
In 1994, PNCB and ANTF were merged and renamed as ANF, commanded by Brigadier ex Pakistan Army. At present, RD ANF KPK is located at 13/14 Industrial Estate, Jamrud RD, Hayatabad, Peshawar, the accommodation acquired on lease in 1992.
Ever since its establishment; the names, location and jurisdiction of all police stations kept evolving/changing through various gazette notifications. The present state of Police Stations vis-à-vis their AOR is as under:-
1. RD PS ANF KPK. RD PS ANF KPK was declared in 2002 as a Police Station. However, it was activated w.e.f 2nd June 2014 from existing RD resources. At present, RD PS ANF KPK is located within the premises of RD ANF KPK with entire KPK and FATA as its AOR..
2. PS ANF Peshawar. PS ANF Peshawar was established in 1973 as FIU and later converted into Police Station in 1990. Presently it is located in forfeited property at Bungalow No.41-A, University Town Peshawar. Its AOR is as under:-
- KPK: District Peshawar, District Mardan, District Malakand, District Charsadda, District Swabi
- Tribal Districts: Khyber, Mohmand, Bajour and FR Peshawar
3. PS ANF Mansehra. PS ANF Haripur was established in 1973 as FIU and later converted into Police Station in 1990. At present, it has been shifted to district Mansehra. Its AOR includes Haripur, Abbotabad, Mansehra, Batagram, Kohistan and Tor Ghar Distircts.
4. PS ANF Kohat. PS ANF Swat was shifted to Kohat in 1989. At present, it is located in ANF property near Kohat Tunnel on Main Indus Highway, opposite NHA Colony. The new State of the art Police Station Building was commissioned in 31 Jan 2014. Its AOR includes:-
- KPK: District Kohat, District Hangu, District Karak,
- Tribal Districts: Kurram , Orakzai and FR Kohat.
5. PS ANF D.I.Khan. PS ANF Bannu was shifted to Haripur on 14th April 1997. It was then shifted to D.I.Khan on 1st November 2001.At present it is located in a rented building on Dayal Road, Village Mullazai, D.I.Khan. Its AOR includes:-
- KPK: District Bannu, District D.I.Khan, District Tank, District Lakki Marwat,
- Tribal Districts/Areas: North Waziristan, South Waziristan, FR Tank, FR Lakki Marwat, FR Bannu and FR D.I.Khan.